Monday, December 29, 2008

Hunting Season

After pre-exam week paper scrambles, exams when pesky sleep did not interrupt a full week of studying and a few weeks of detox, I suppose it's blogging time again.

It's also hunting season. Step up to the fresh smell of summer internship postings, people, because the pickin's good.

Last time I wrote I whined about feeling lost as an English major in the past.  Google isn't exactly helpful in this case ("English major internship" searches bring up internships with "major" corporations or "Major Payne" with "English" subtitles on used DVDs, only $3.99! That's not exactly what we're looking for.)

The other day I took in a big whiff of the free time and internship itch and checked out JMU's Career and Academic Planning site again. Many employers hiring interns and entry level job seekers look for business majors, or so it seems. However, I was pleased to find MANY opportunities teaching English abroad, writing positions, and even a campaign internship position.

This was the first time I gave the teaching abroad jobs a fair read.  One offers housing, travel expenses, less than 40 hours per week of work and between $3000 and $5000 per month! That money goes straight to the bank because they are already paying for your bed.  If you're not keen on the idea of cubicle-sitting and you want an internationally stimulating paycheck, this seems pretty ideal.

There's a nasty pattern among the other internships posted around the web.  The math, science and business summer interns have a much better chance of getting paid for their experiences. Those interested in more arts-related and humanities work will likely get to know the food service industry well.  Without the never-give-up drive to interview your heart out for those highly coveted, paid positions, our first few tries "out there" may be rewarded with smiles alone. 

I know I'm still an idealist when I can't help but think, "Oh, but Self, you'll look back on this as 'Where It ALL Began.' Who needs steady meals anyway?"

I'm going to try the never-give-up tactic a few more times, especially in this current internship deluge happening on companies' career sites. This is the price I pay, doing what I love.

No comments: