Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tang, Stars and Five Stories of Internationals

Today is the last Thursday of a student's life. I head up to DC on Sunday to move in so that I can begin my internship. This is a spikier bubble than the college one I'm used to: a limbo between four years of learning (not to mention the 13 years prior) and lifetime of application.

If I can rewind backwards for a moment, I want to toot a few horns. Horn #1: The JMU Internship Fair gave me a forum with a safety net where I could go "all in" and try to dazzle the representative of the only company there. Horn #2: The butterflies I get remind me of young days where kickball and cold, summer Tang ruled. If I use them as motivation for dazzlement, I couldn't go wrong. Horn #3: I got there just in time to speak with the representative, spewing about how passionate I am about their mission. The butterflies worked and I applied for the Spring internship that night. Two interviews followed over the course of two weeks and the same guy who I met before offered me the position.

Monday I begin orientation that will be the first step in the direction of helping the stars and stripes. I'm going to live in an independent dormitory filled with international graduate students and interns. The five story International Student House and the journalism internship are going to resonate through my diary and this blog (sorry, the juicy stuff may stay in my diary) and I can hardly wait for the first sleep-deprived day. 

What do you call the Thursday before you move into a very exciting limbo? It is a bit of a double middle ground. To top it off, I should eat boiled chicken tonight to complete the circuit. I'll call it Transition Day.

No comments: