Monday, February 9, 2009

I feel like a third grader again

This is a quick one for reasons that should be obvious because of my slightly off-beat nature at the moment...

Here's a straight forward lesson that no one told me (I never thought I'd get the chance to say that. I feel like I've heard a bottomless pit's worth of advice on these subjects): the first few days of an internship or job make you feel inadequate. Wow that hurts. I am working as a journalist at a nationally distributed newspaper, that's intimidation factor number one. I am not a SMAD or journalism major, but an English major, that's intimidation factor number two. I'm in a new city, adapting to a new home life as well as trying to figure out a new job. Three. They seem to layer on top of each other, one reason begetting another, supplementing the next and drawing from another.

Silver lining? I've been told this is temporary and that everyone feels like they do not know what they're doing at first. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?! I'm doing the best that I can to exceed expectations, but I feel like I lost my tool belt. I just have to stick it out until the confidence starts to seep back.

No comments: